Urban Trees and Green Stormwater Infrastructure Research
This collection provides the most current research relating urban trees and forests with stormwater runoff.
- Quantifying the benefits of urban forest systems as a component of the green infrastructure stormwater treatment network
- The purpose of this literature review is to highlight the limited research performed, document areas of need for quantifying the benefits of urban trees for stormwater management, and provide a basis for providing credits for trees in stormwater designs.
- Gravel Bed Stormwater Retention System - Greenhouse Demonstration Project
- This project was conducted to better understand below-ground tree root morphology in gravel-based stormwater retention systems. read more...
- The Role of Trees in Urban Stormwater Management
- Arboriculture deserves additional consideration as a stormwater control measure. The reliable use of trees for stormwater control depends on improved understanding of how and to what extent trees interact with stormwater, and the context-specific consideration of optimal arboricultural practices ...
- Review of the Available Literature and Data on the Runoff and Pollutant Removal Capabilities of Urban Trees
- The Center for Watershed Protection reviewed a total of 159 publications to evaluate the research questions defined in the scope of this project: 1. What is the effectiveness of urban tree planting on reducing runoff, nutrient and sediment, and 2. How does effectiveness vary by species, over time, ... read more...
- Article published in Stormwater Magazine on-line October 2016 taken from a manuscript submitted for the StormCon 2016 Proceedings.
- The Health of Trees in Bioretention: A Survey and Analysis of Influential Variables
- This research study compared the health of trees in bioretention systems in TN and NC with trees in other open-grown, urban settings.
- Urban Forest Systems and Green Stormwater Infrastructure
- The purpose of this draft document is to focus on the research-based effects of trees on urban stormwater runoff, provide some helpful urban forest management strategies to maximize stormwater benefits, and demonstrate several examples around the United States where the stormwater benefits of urban ... read more...