CD ROM/DVD Supporting the Benefits of U&CF and the Career Opportunities Within (04-DG-111244225-441)
This project produced a CD/DVD career kit and workbook to inform youth of the job opportunities in forestry.
The purpose of this project was to produce a Career Kit consisting of a CD/DVD and workbook that would be used to inform disadvantaged youth of the various job opportunities within the urban forestry/arboriculture industry. The Career Kit would provide the target population with demonstrations of the various types of work within the industry, including utility, municipality and commercial arborists_ The 10,000 Career Kits will be distributed throughout the country.
1. Provide a consistent recruitment tool which will be used throughout the industry to educate high school students of the various career opportunities within the arborist industry.
2. Provide a visual representation with descriptive narrative that portrays the work of the arborist as exciting and challenging while also making a valuable contribution to the community.
3. Educate the youth of today of the importance of trees to the urban environment.
4. Make available a list of resources to which interested youth may refer for more information specific to their area of interest.
5. Secure the services of a professional firm to produce a DVD with the narrative provided by professional actors.
6. Write a companion workbook that compliments the DVD's message while also emphasizing the employment opportunities at all levels of the educational spectrum. The workbook will emphasize the importance of an education from at a high school degree or GED as a prerequisite to the entry level positions to higher education with emphasis on marketing, sales, education, horticulture, arboriculture, architecture, management, consulting, or research.
7. Have the "Career Kit" completed, packaged and distributed through a national network, yet to be identified
8. Obtain the support of a variety of highly respected industry companies to provide both in-kind and monetary contributions needed to successfully complete the project.
(630) 221-8127 ext 256
Tree Research & Educational Endowment Fund
711 E. Roosevelt Rd.
Wheaton, IL 60187
USDA Forest Service - NA
11 Campus Blvd, Suite 200
Newtown Square, PA 19073
Education Programs (Public), Children and Youth, U&CF Program Development