Sustainable Development of Forestlands Project
A Virginia Tech project to look at sustainable approaches to development.
The primary intent of the project was to draw upon the knowledge of those who have written about:
- the ecological function and structure of forested ecosystems;
- the potential hazards associated with developing mountainous terrain;
- the opportunities to create highly livable and life-sustaining residential developments; and,
- the potential to employ low-impact development techniques in new developments.
Through this project website we desire to promote more sustainable approaches to development, particularly where forest and farmland resources are involved.
Includes sections on:
- Sustainable Forestland Planning and Design
- Cluster Development in Forestland Settings
- Improving the Subdivision Review Process
- Model Ordinance Provisions
- Resources for Developers